Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Initial Thoughts on OMDE 603: Technology in Distance Education and e-Learning

The next several posts I write will be devoted to a course I am taking at UMUC for my Certificate in Technology in Distance Education and e-Learning. Incidentally, this particular course, OMDE 603, shares that title.

So far, we have reviewed the history of technology in Distance Education (DE) and discussed definitions and terminology for DE. We spent a week on asynchronous and synchronous technology and are midway through a module on Web 2.0 technologies.

There's a way in which much of this has been review for me. I took two courses for this certificate last semester: OMDE 601, which is the foundations course for DE, and a tech-heavy course, DETC 630, which focused on emerging technologies in DE and e-learning. Both of those courses prepared me well for this one. The historical context and terminology was covered in OMDE 601, and asynchronous and synchronous technologies, as well as Web 2.0 technologies, was covered in DETC 630. To that end, I'm a little stuck on what to focus on in this post that demonstrates "critical thinking attributes regarding the course readings and ideas related to class topics." I'll do my best.

First, what's interesting about Technology in DE and e-learning is that the two--technology and DE--are inseparably intertwined. Distance Education is only possible through technology and always has been (Peters). For its first hundred years, students and teachers relied on the postal service--trains and planes. Mostly trains. The middle section, sometimes referred to as the "second wave," saw improvements in speed and communication with telephones, radio, and television. The 1970s saw the first generation of computer-mediated communication (CMC) with discussion boards, and then the whole world changed in the 90s with the Internet.

Of particular note is that the pedagogy changed during these waves, too. We had a discussion about this a couple of weeks ago; it wasn't until two-way communication between student and teacher and student and student was reliable and widely available that notions of constructivism and student-centered learning came into play. The pedagogy of constructivism really took hold, or became dominant, in the 1990s and has remained so ever since, to the best of my current understanding. Note that I was steeped in constructivism and student-based learning when I was trained to teach; I'm also a compositionist. So, my field and my training give me a strong bias for not just constructivism, but social constructivism.b

The liveliest conversation thus far has been about asynchronous v synchronous technologies. I of course have a lot to say on this because of the way I structure my courses. There is a lot of bias against synchronous technologies (at a distance) in general, and especially here at UMUC, for good reason. First, synchronous technologies deserve their bad rap. Until quite recently, issues of access, reliability, and strong Internet connections have made it virtually impossible for quality synchronous sessions to happen at all (note that I'm specifically talking about web conferencing, as that's what I know best). While vast improvements have been made in these areas, at least in the United States, the technologies themselves are rudimentary, which leads to live sessions in technologies like the painfully ugly AdobeConnect that often aren't much more engaging than a face-to-face lecture. I do my best in here, but I know that I'm not taking advantage of the potential of web conferencing like I could and am eager to do. It requires a paradigm shift that I haven't completely made. For an excellent post on this, see Hybrid Pedagogy's "An Affinity for Asynchronous Learning." 

Second, for the purposes of "true" DE (i.e., 100% at a distance), synchronous sessions are impractical. Students take DE courses for convenience and flexibility. Students are in different time zones. Students have crazy schedules that preclude being able to log on at a fixed time every week. So, there's bias.

That said, even web conferencing affords an immediacy that is simply not possible on discussion boards or even pre-recorded instructor videos or podcasts (both of which are great, by the way). Discussion boards are rich, critical, reflective--this is where integrated learning happens (Garrison and Vaughan). Live sessions are also valuable, though: they bring everyone together. Students can chat with each other in real time. Instructors can answer questions in real time. Students can see and hear their instructor and, depending on the way the class is set up, each other. Social presence and instructor presence is inherently higher in synchronous sessions. It just is. I don't know that it's completely practical for an institution like UMUC...but I think that this program (Master's of DE) could benefit from incorporating more live sessions than what I'm seeing now. I attended one live session last semester in DETC 630 which was, I'm afraid, fairly useless. It was simply the instructor going over a couple of websites, which had already been done in a short video I had just watched prior to attending the live session. Not well handled, but it's a learning curve--it takes awhile to get the hang of running live sessions, to which my students, and especially my TAs, can attest.

This post is already a mile long, so I'm going to hold off on Web 2.0 technologies until my next post. Above, I've mentioned Otto Peters, one of the giants of DE scholarship, and Randy Garrison and Norman Vaughan, two DE scholars who have cornered the market on blended learning in higher ed (the title of their 2008 book). Garrison is also one of the original authors (with Anderson and Archer, 2000), of the Community of Inquiry model, in which the social presence and instructor presence concepts are rooted (or, rather, my introduction to them is).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela,mtione
    I am in your class OMDE 603 technology class. I am so impressed with your blog. I have never blogged before so your blog gives me a sense of a long term blog. Since you are a teacher, and I plan to teach in the future, I will be following your blog. The structure is outstanding and you obviously have so much experience with the subject matter, very impressive. Have a good weekend.
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback, Terrie! Blogs can be difficult to maintain. I generally don't blog in the summer, so this is challenging for me (as is taking two summer courses!), but once I finally get in here, I love getting my thoughts on the page (or screen). I try to blog once a week. I don't always, but it's good to at least have a goal. I keep a weekly schedule through Google Calendar and set aside an hour a week (Tuesday or Thursday morning) for my blog. This has helped me over the past year. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lyra,
    First of all, it is very nice to have you as a team member again. Nice job on your blog. It is nicely designed, very easy on the eyes, and the layout is clean.
    Synchronous and asynchronous discussion does seem to invoke mixture of opinions; however, I agree with you that synchronous methods are extremely difficult to execute; classmates are geographically separated so setting a time that is suitable for everyone is difficult. In DETC 630, the issue that we experience in the project was that video chat (ooVoo) could only support a few people without freezing. The only solution was to complete our project on Webex which performed nicely.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I'm so excited that you're my "critical friend"! I always enjoy reading and working with you. The DETC 630 synchronous sessions were inordinately challenging--ooVoo was a disaster. I wonder about Google Hangout; I use that frequently with my TAs and was able to use it with one of my (American) team members in DETC 630, but I don't know if it's available or viable around the world. It's also not the most stable platform, which continues to surprise me, as it's Google. We ended up using Adobe Connect for our live presentation, something we could only do because I have access to it through UMD. I dearly hope that the tech innovators out there will continue to invest in and develop multi-user video/ web conferencing--it seems long overdue. Thanks again for writing,
      Lyra

      Delete