Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How to Blog Like a Social Media Intern

Clarification: Social Media Intern for the Smithsonian. 

Courtney is back with me on an independent study this semester. She is researching all things blended learning, boosting our online presence, and teaching me how to conduct myself online.

Observe:


My strategy for "conducting myself online" thus far has to be private. I've been blogging for three years now, but haven't published anything. I have been waiting until I know that I can blog on a regular basis. More importantly, I have been waiting until I've had content I truly wanted to share. I've read hundreds of blogs over the last decade, and too many of them haven't been updated in months, or even years. Many of them seem to have been created as a requirement for grad students or first-year teachers. "Why blog?" "Because I have to." "Oh. So...what are you going to write about?"



"I dunno. The view from my window?"

That's pretty much how I started. I had to experiment with it in order to figure out what I was doing. I was blogging for myself. Now, however, I do have content I want to share: lesson plans, discussion board prompts, advice for teachers transitioning to blended/ hybrid courses, enthusiasm for my classes and my students who are creating better and better writing every semester.

Courtney sat down with me yesterday and assumed the most diplomatic voice she could muster: 

"A good rule of thumb for blogs is to keep them short: 600-800 words."

I cringed. "I know, I know. I can't believe how long my posts are!"

"And pictures. You need pictures. College Tourist requires that I write 1,000 word posts, but I fill them with pictures. Here, let me show you."

She hopped on my laptop and led me here: Ten Ways to Find and Land the Perfect Internship

Yes, that's right: my "web content and social media" research assistant also happens to be the social media intern for the Smithsonian. She's a rock star. And I am the luckiest educator on the planet.

"Pictures? I don't have any pictures! I don't even have a decent profile picture!" (True words).

"Right. Well, work on that. You need them."

Here you go, Courtney: 



That's my class schedule for the next two weeks. Speaking of which, I need to prepare tomorrow's synchronous class on research skills and stasis theory. 

How's this? Better?





No comments:

Post a Comment